Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday randomness #10.

Can you believe it's been almost 10 weeks? I feel like I started blogging only very recently. Thank you everyone for reading my blog.

1. Swatch. Remember last week I showed you some lovely pink yarn I'm planning to use to knit a Garter Stitch Circular Shrug? I've swatched. All in garter stitch. I'm not yet fed up with it. It's a good sign.

I'm going to propose this shrug for an OWL in the HPKCHC group on Ravelry. This means no casting on before May 1. Anyways, I have enough stuff to finish on the needles.

tension square knitting in ridges

Now I need to come up with a story. I plan to hatch a magical creature egg. 

My first 2 ideas:
- a flamingo egg: perfect color, but hey, where's the magic?!
- a dragon egg: we all know dragons come in all colors, sadly it's zero originality.

Finally this morning I had a funnier idea: a pig egg. You know, a piggy that has been bewitched and ends laying eggs. If I don't find a better idea I'll stick with this one.

2. Magazine. With some knitter from my knitting group we made a group order at an online yarn store to save shipping fees (70 euros for free shipping is a lot for a single person). So I took the Spring 2013 issue of Knitting Traditions.

spring 2013 issue of knitting traditions

I only picked it up yesterday, so I haven't gone all through it. I bought it mostly for the articles. I like to read about history of knitting. There are also some great vintage colorwork mittens and cabled socks inside. Like the sweater on the front cover? It comes only in bust size 32". It inspired me 2 things:

- My scale says 162 lbs. I'm 5'9" tall. I'm supposed to have a healthy weight. My bust is 39". Either women in the 30's were all petite or they were extra slim.

- The pattern gives only 1 size. Since when has the knitter been supposed to grade the pattern? Good news, it doesn't look really hard to recalculate and adapt in case one day I'm tempted...

3. I managed to take a picture of the little sucker that dirties on my balcony a bit too often: who likes washing pidgeon poo?

back of a bird at my flat's window

Wishing you all a fabulous weekend!