Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Birth of a knitting pattern - part 3: draft.

Once you have a great idea and have decided on gauge, which means needle size and yarn, you are ready to write down the draft of your pattern.

You have several options here: I use them depending on my inspiration and on the type of item.

1. Write down the whole pattern right away before touching the needles again after having finished your swatch. That's what I usually do for socks as they'll always follow the same structure. I enter all data into a text document on my computer, print it, knit the sample (I'll write in detail about that step next time) and add notes for corrections and adjustments with a pencil.

2. Write a partial pattern before knitting the sample then finish it later. That's what I do most of the time. For my washcloths I draw the chart only before casting on. It's the easiest way to go when there's a complex stitch with a simple structure.

3. Write the draft as you go. I only did that once for my crochet Under The Sea Skirt. It is the case you cast on and write the pattern as you go. This is working fine when the structure and stitches of your pattern are pretty easy. In the case of my skirt it was all about choosing how many rows of each color to crochet and how often to increase.

single crocheting sequence with b lue yarn

This is me while crocheting my skirt and writing the pattern "as you go".

Whatever way you decide to go you need to do the basic math for clothing to be sure to knit a sample that fits the model (in my case: me). You don't need to find out stitch and row count for all sizes right now. If your sample comes out as planned it'll be time for the delicate grading part.

See, it's not that complicated!

Liked this post and don't want to miss another one? Subscribe to Journey of a crafter by Email!